Cooking Out Without Pigging Out
Cookout season has arrived. If you're trying to stay in shape, you don't need
to avoid the summer gatherings or make a meal of lettuce leaves while everyone
else enjoys the festivities. Follow these guidelines for healthier choices right
from the grill.
- Grilled hamburgers aren't your best bet, but if it's the only option
available, comfort yourself by knowing that a lot of fat is eliminated in the
- Remember that mayonnaise adds fat so opt for ketchup, mustard, and relish as
- To lower your fat intake, barbequed chicken is a better choice�without the
skin, of course.
- If it's a pig roast, go for a lean slice, and throw away the skin.
- Hot dogs are usually over 80% fat, and generally not very nutritious. If
possible, read the ingredient label. Once you are aware of what you're eating,
hot dogs may be a little easier to resist.
- Vegetables are great on the grill, too. Try red peppers, zucchini, onions, and
- Three-bean salad, fresh veggie trays, or dill pickles are better choices than
chips or potato or macaroni salad.
- Fortunately, cook-out desserts usually include watermelon or other fresh
fruit�a much better choice than cookies, cake, or cobbler.